Youth/Community Motivational Speaker
Today’s youth and young adults face so many challenges. Many youth are born into circumstances that could mean disaster for their entire lives. Others create situations leading them towards the same outcome. Nearly all youth encounter peer pressure or engage in dangerous, life-altering behavior like sex, drugs, and violence. How do we help youth understand that their lives are precious and their potential is tremendous no matter what challenges they were born into or create?
Through my youth and community programs, I help youth and young adults understand who they are and set themselves on the path to becoming who they really want to be. I help students respect themselves and others, evaluate their relationships, change their perspective, and set and achieve goals. The S.O. What! Success System takes away every excuse and helps youth overcome their obstacles so that they can achieve their dreams.
“I thought it was going to be hard, but they (youth group) love it. We have really had some great discussions, and I’ve found out a lot about some of them. Your story is a blessing to so many!”
“Summer Owens is a dynamic speaker! We hired Summer to speak for a non-profit gala and she really inspired the audience. I recommend Summer as a speaker to impact your organization for your next event! “
My programs can be tailored to suit a variety of organizations and occasions including:
- Half / full-day workshops
- Leadership and life skills training
- S. O. What! curriculum author visit and Q&A
Most requested youth programs
- Who Am I?– I share how I discovered who I was in spite of bullying and low self-esteem and the steps I took to become who I am today through many challenges.
- Self-esteem, Sex, and Success– I share how my low self-esteem and ignorance about sex led me to the challenges of being a teen mom but how I graduated from high school with honors, was named Most Likely to Succeed, and earned a full scholarship to college.
- How to Cultivate a Success Mindset — I share the story of how I earned the titles of “Most Likely to Succeed” in high school, and later “Miss University of Memphis” in college, despite being the survivor of an unwanted sexual encounter at 15, and a teen mom trying to balance a full-time courseload with single-parenthood.
- How to Stand Out and Show Out — I explain how I turned an entry-level job with the Memphis Grizzlies (NBA) into a leadership position at a multinational corporation (FedEx) over the course of 15 years, by adopting a no-excuses “S.O. What” philosophy.
Give your students Summer’s motivation and life lessons all year long!
The S.O. What! Literacy, Life Skills, and Character Education curriculum for community groups uses higher learning standards for English Language Arts to teach important life skills and help students prepare for life after high school. Listen to what educators and students say about the curriculum that has students thinking, talking, and acting!
My passion is helping youth and young adults realize success no matter what obstacles they face. As an international resilience and leadership keynote speaker, author, S.O. What! Success Coach, and creator of the S.O. What! Literacy, Life Skills, and Character Education curriculum, I empower people to say, “So what!” to their challenges.
I provide a framework to help people see past their challenges and focus on solutions using the S.O. What! Success System (Overcome Obstacles + Eliminate Excuses + Calculate Choices = S.O. What! Success). Through keynotes, workshops, books, online courses, and workbooks, I use life’s challenges and my own story of resilience as a rape survivor and teen mom success story to help others confidently pursue their dreams.
Looking for an inspiring college motivational speaker? A high school literacy curriculum? A middle school life skills workbook? A great example for teen mothers? A women’s empowerment or single mother’s conference speaker?
I’m your girl and will help any audience say, “S.O. What!”.
We’ll talk about
- The importance and impact of education
- Goal-setting, planning and thinking ahead
- Community responsibility
- Choices and Consequences
- Relationships and the influence of friends
- Sex, STD’s, and teen pregnancy
- SO much more